How to wash your hair to maintain your luscious locks!
Here are some top tips to help you wash your hair more effectively:
1. Wet your hair thoroughly: Before you apply shampoo, wet your hair thoroughly. This will help to open up your hair cuticles and allow the shampoo to penetrate deeply into your hair strands. Use warm water, not too hot, as extremely hot water can damage your hair.
2. Use the right amount of shampoo: Depending on the length of your hair, use a coin-sized amount of shampoo. Work this product into wet hands before applying evenly onto the scalp. Professional shampoo is highly concentrated therefore these products need to be broken down to ensure a healthy lather.
3. Massage your scalp: Use the tips of your fingers, not your nails, to massage your scalp gently. This will help to increase blood circulation to your scalp, which can promote healthy hair growth.
4. Rinse thoroughly: Rinse your hair thoroughly to ensure that all shampoo is removed. Leftover shampoo can leave a residue on your scalp and hair, causing irritation and flakiness.
5. ALWAYS shampoo twice. This is to ensure the hair is cleansed thoroughly, the first removing any dirt and residue and the second cleaning the hair and scalp.
6. Apply conditioner correctly: Apply conditioner to the mid-lengths and ends of your hair, not your scalp (to avoid too much oil in this area.) Leave it on for a few minutes before rinsing it off with cool water. Tempered water helps to close your hair cuticles, which can make your hair appear shinier and smoother.
7. Don’t rub your hair with a towel: After washing your hair, don’t rub it vigorously with a towel as your hair is more susceptible to damage when it is wet. This can cause damage to your hair cuticles and lead to frizz. Instead, gently squeeze the excess water out of your hair with a towel.
8. Before using hot tools make sure you use a leave-in conditioning product which contains heat protection. This will often help speed up the drying process and protect your hair whilst doing so.
9. Try using a pre or post shampoo treatment once a fortnight to maintain your healthy hair.
Washing your hair properly is essential for maintaining healthy hair. By following these tips, you can ensure that your hair is cleansed effectively and left looking and feeling its best. For more tips ask your hair artist at your next appointment!