Your ultimate guide to winter hair care
Our hair has a tough time during the winter season. With cold and wet weather conditions and heating turned up to the max, our locks have a continuous battle to stay hydrated and in great condition. Award-winning hairdresser Sinéad Kelly shares her top tips for keeping your hair in good condition, whatever the weather throws your way.
- Including a good quality, deep conditioning hair mask into your weekly routine will add any lost moisture back into your hair. After showering at night, towel dry your hair to get rid of excess water, apply the mask and leave it in over night.
- Choosing the right shampoo for your hair type is especially important during winter months, to help give your hair all the love it needs. A moisturising shampoo and conditioner is a must to lock in the moisture that is sucked out by harsh central heating and cold winds. At Sinéad Kelly London we use Kerastase hair care products, which can be tailored to your specific hair type, whether that’s fine, greasy or dry. Ask a member of the team for the right one for you.
- Hair colour is at its best when the hair is in its best condition. So washing frequently in winter, which we do more often than in summer, can cause colour to fade quicker. Where possible aim to only wash your hair every few days. If you need to wash it more, turn down the heat slightly so you aren’t washing it in boiling water, which can also affect the rate at which the colour may fade.
- If your hair grows quickly, so will your dead and split ends. Book in for a regular trim to help keep hair in best possible condition.
- Many of us turn to our hairdryers and straighteners more often in winter, after being exposed to wet conditions or because we wear our hair down more frequently. To reduce the risk of drying your hair out unnecessarily, aim to spend more time and effort on your blow dry so you aren’t as reliant on your straighteners. Read my tips for the perfect 10-minute blow dry.